Below is a step-by-step guide to entering the Canadian Event Awards. When you are ready to enter, head over to the Entry Portal (link is at the top and bottom of this page) and start your entries.
Big news, we have moved to a drop-down style entry system that makes it easier than ever to enter while standardizing the data to assist in evaluations. You will also find new categories created to reflect current times, along with updated and more relevant judging criteria. We suggest reading the requirements before you start building your entry. For those companies that have entered before, we strongly encourage a thorough review of the documentation to get familiar with the new rules, criteria and entry requirements.
Fill in your contact details and ensure your email is correctly entered
Decide What To Enter
The category you enter must correspond directly to the work you do (i.e. if you enter Best Food Presentation, you must be the caterer, not the contractor). If you enter Best Wedding, you must be responsible for planning every detail you enter. You cannot submit the entire wedding if you only planned the reception etc.
A company or individual may enter the same event in more than one category but must complete a separate entry for each category, and each entry must be adapted accordingly. It will work against you during judging if you duplicate an entry and change the title. Choose ALL the categories you want to enter and add a selection for every joint entrant you want to be listed on your entry. Click here to review the category criteria, judging tips and what you need to include.
Once you have completed the registration form and chosen your categories, and added any joint entries if applicable, you will then submit and pay. FOR JOINT ENTRIES: When choosing your categories from the category list, please select the item ” ADD Joint Entry” to your order – for every extra entrant on your applications. So, if you have yourself plus two others who want to be listed, choose two joint entries and you will be charged for each one. Once you have your PIN and are in your personal entry portal, you will “assign” your joint entrants to the correct category.
Confirmation & Pin
After you have paid, you should receive an email within 15 minutes to link your unique entry portal and a personal PIN. Use this PIN to access your portal and enter your events. All your chosen categories will be linked and listed in this portal for you to complete.
Collect Your Materials
- Budgets – only if the category requests it. Budgets are kept confidential and never published.
- Reference letters and letters of recommendation.
- Menus (if applicable for F&B categories)
- Photos and or videos – see category criteria for how many.
- Links to websites if applicable.
- Extended description of your event or event element.
- 300-word summary – this will be published; please ensure you write this in the third person and try to describe your event so that it’s clear and brief for readers.
- Supporting materials if applicable to the category. These may be critical paths, planning documents, floorplans, media brochures, social media posts, audio files etc.
- The entry period closes June 6, 2021.
- Nominees will be announced online mid June.
- Nominees will be contacted for further comments and interviews.
- Winners will be announced live at the Virtual Gala on July 7, 2021.
- A post-event “look book” will be released nationwide featuring the winners, and winning entries will have the opportunity to be featured in an upcoming issue of Canadian Special Events Magazine.
Rules & Guidelines
- All entries must have taken place between December 31, 2019, and December 31, 2020 (we extended this to include NYE 2019)
- A separate entry must be submitted for each event.
- Joint entrants listed on the entry must be registered.
- All entries judged by dollar value must include a detailed budget. All budgets must be in retail pricing (the total amount the client was billed).
- Budgets are never displayed and are kept confidential except to the judges.
- Judges’ decisions are final.
- There is no limit to the number of submissions – additional categories will incur additional entry fees.
- No advance notice of winners will be provided under any circumstances.
- NOTE: Entries become the property of Canadian Special Events and may be published in Canadian Special Event’ publications or their associated websites. Unless otherwise instructed, event images and a copy may be used to promote the Event Awards.
- Winners receive digital badges which cannot be altered or transferred.
- Any of the stories, entry images or entrant content found on our website cannot be copied, downloaded or shared without express permission by CSE & the entrant. Contact us for media inquiries.
The Canadian Event Industry Awards is one of the most rigorous and challenging award competitions in the world for event professionals. The judging is a 4-stage process, including pre-screening to eliminate non-qualified entries, a first-round analysis to determine nominees, an in-depth evaluation where the entry is examined in detail for its calibre and merit, and then final judging to select the winners. Canadian Event Industry Awards judges represent a diverse cross-section of our industry’s top experts and offer a breadth of knowledge on the critical elements needed to create successful events.
Gala, Prizes & Promotions
- All finalists receive a digital ad to use in social media and on their website to promote their nomination. Winners receive an official badge.
- Winners receive a marketing bank between $10-$25,000 depending on category, with Canadian Special Events valid for one year to use for marketing their business or event. More information is available upon request.
- Finalists will be featured on canadianspecialevents.com and canadianeventawards.com along with social media posts and shoutouts.
- Winners will be featured in Canadian Special Events Magazine.
- Winners and finalists may be contacted for comments, quotes or interviews.
- The 2021 Gala takes place virtually on July 7.
- In person watch parties will take place in various locations across Canada if allowable by health and safety regulations and tickets will be made available by the hosting venues. More details can be found on the Gala page of this site (coming soon.)